Saturday, February 28, 2009

Kili is harder than a marathon?

Hello,

So, today's agenda has been very lax. Just sit, hydrate, and read
books. I had hoped to catch a glimpse of kili. So far, though, no
luck. She's covered in rain clouds and it looks like rain. Down here
in town, the winds are strong - the 10-15 mph constant breeze with
some harder gusts makes the 90s temperature seem less terrible.
Still, oddly, I'm dry. So it's raining 10 miles away and it's dry as
a bone here.

Anyway, I see a group of three young Asian guys sitting nearby. I
chat a little. They just came off Kili yesterday, and they're running
the marathon tomorrow. They've all run marathons before, and they've
run them in this heat, too.

"Oh, climbing Kili is definitely harder than running this marathon
will be..." I smile and chuckle, but now two thoughts are predominant
in my head: my years of mountaineering will make the marathon cake, OR
(more likely), Kili is going to be harder than I imagined!

I promise I will start posting more pics with my entries starting
tomorrow. I still have to work out some data issues (the local Zain
telephone guys don't know how to get me the unlimited data package),
so I'll either figure that out after running or I'll pick up a few
"top-ups" so that I can send pics over the 8 days on the mountain.

OK, time to pig out again and then get ready for bed... I'm catching a
taxi at 5:30 am just because "east african time" tends to be accurate
+/- 24 hours...

Joel

--
Joel

1 comment: