Sunday, March 1, 2009

Heh, I sure hope Kili is easier than THIS marathon

No excuses, I suck. How bad? I walked the last 16 miles. Say
what?!?! Yeah... 5:36 is my first maathon time. I should have
trained harder and considering the huge altitude gain in this run, I
should have done far more hill training. I sucked wind on the massive
10+ mile uphill.

OK, now the excuses. I didn't train right. If I'm ever dumb enough
to do this again, I'll move the treadmill into the garage, bring a
heater with me, park the car in there, remove the catalytic conveter,
and then run the car, set the heater for 90 degrees, and then do my
training runs!

Compared to Moshi/Tanzania, Los Angeles in the 70s and 80s (when it
was much worse than it is now), is like puified bottled oxygen. And
every time a truck or bus drove by, we got a good 10 mins of pue crap
to breath... and they drove by regularly.

But I can't blame it all on the air... my calves for the first time in
my memory, completely spasmed at about mile 10 (i'll look at the data
later to verify). From that point on, any running imediately locked
and spasmed my calves (painful!). So I had to walk. And later you'll
be able to see the data - my walking speed was pretty much
spasm-speed-minus-0.1-mph. D'oh!

Anyway, I'm writing this under a tent in the now well over 90 degree
heat while I'm stil suffering calve-spasms. I'm sure I'll be more
positive later, but now i'm frustrated by my stupid calves!

Joel

--
Joel

3 comments:

  1. Help your muscle spasms and prepare for your ascension of Kili with fish oil, mineral supplements (Ka and Ca principally), and massage (gently rub your calves until you feel them warming from the inside...even in that heat)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Joel (can't seem to post a comment, he sez):

    Supplements? People here can barely afford food on their tables. The pharmacies sell aspirin and malaria drugs and that's about it!

    To meet your list, I can eat deep fried fish (the only kind of fish I've seen offered), bananas, and I dunno what for Ca... milk smells sourish around here, invokes a gag reflex for me.

    Heh, though, you've neverr seen so many fresh fruit. Lots of mango, bananas, water melons, and a bunch I can't even name...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel,
    You selected a tough race for a 1st marathon. Most people do their 1st in cool weather, flat course. So don't beat yourself up on that. Think of Culver City, City of Orange, Los Alamitos, Long Beach marathons to experiment. BTW, I cant see you on Latitude!

    ReplyDelete