Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Damn White Necked (Ringed?) Ravens

Hey,

They're everywhere and I haven't really cared, but this AM while drinking coffee in the main tent, we heard a bad noise. I ran out to find a stupid raven tearing through my gear. I'd left the bivy cracked open for better venting/drying. There's a poke mark where the raven nipped the screen and then he got the zipper and opened the bivvy all the way. He'd removed my gloves and dry bags and was tearing through my toiletries bag. He'd already pulled out my lenses. Unfortunatley, I ran out with not enough clothes, so I tossed everything back in, and put some big rocks on top to keep it secure. Then I ran into the tent, no pics.

No luck with sun today - it's 9:15am and we have total cloud coverage and strong winds. I would guess about 10 degrees F right now, windchill, since I have only my skin to guage. All wet stuff even in the light is still frozen solid - unusual for this trip. Mornings after 8 am are usually reasonable. We're going to get a slightly late start to maximize temps and give everyone a chance to hydrate. Everyone claims to be feeling well..

OH, lenses reminds me - since day 2, I've given up on lenses. I'm way too filthy to be sticking lenses on. So I'm wearingmy glasses. They darken in bright light and surprising to me, they get as dark as dark sunglasses. Unfortunately, they allow a lot of light around them - they ain't glacier glasses. If I take a snow-bound trip, I'll want surgery or prescription inserts for some good wrap-around glasses. I like having vision all the time and no need to clean hands in ice solid water all the time... Plus my eyes feel nice and relaxed.

After this trip and before I forget, I should take notes on all my gear. I'm learning a lot.

Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment