Sunday, March 8, 2009

I lied... Its f'ing cold.

So... I just sent a blog post about the temps. I sent that from inside the tent we'd been cooking in. I went out to find signal and instantly froze. I took this pic of what I mean about fog. But the temps have DROPPED. It's 2:50pm and I am wearing a 140, 180, 260, and 320 weight wool tops plus my 800-fill down top, a 320-weight wool hood plus a thick nylon balaclava, my Outdoor Research gloves and overgloves, 200-weight wool pants with thermal undies and nylon pants, plus two pairs of wool injinji socks and some thick wool oversocks. All that's left in my clothes bag are my eVent waterproof top and bottom and my nylon top.

I froze in about 2 minutes outside.

Now if I had to guess, I'd put it at about -15 - 0F (-26 - -18C, which my team agrees to). Tonight is going to be cold - if it drops another 10-15 degrees, and the wind picks up, it will certainly test my gear to the limit!

Oh, and while I was sending the last emails, for lack of a better way to describe it, my phone's screen froze? I poked it with my fat gloved hand and I lost about 2% of the pixels a shape that looks like an old school rooftop tv antenna. Dunno how i'm going to send this since I need to walk around with the phone exposed to see where I have signal. Maybe find signal and then shove the phone in my pants for aminute, then hit send? I'm in the group tent right now...

All but one of the guys is passed out and the one is looking for a radio station, something he does all the time, every day. Crap, it just started snowing (hailing? Heavy, hard sounding snow).

Joel, wishing I never described the weather as fair!

2 comments:

  1. Eeek. And you are not at the top yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought that in the middle of Africa it can get so cold, weird.

    ReplyDelete