Friday, March 6, 2009

Day 3 - Shira 1 to Shira 2

Hello,

Dang, haven't had signal in a while There is very spotty signal here at Shira 2, people say even txt messages are not likely to work. Images certainly won't go out yet. Oh well...

After that picture of Kili, we took off towards Shira 2. On the way, we saw Shira peak off to the side and went for it. It was a rough cross country hike to meet up with a trail and then a rugged hike up to a rocky spire. I'm not certain this is Shira peak - I need to see a map. We capped out at 12.6k ft and then dropped into the valley and back onto Kili proper, finishing the hike to Shira 2 with the detour up Shira peak in 3 hours. We're at 12.6k again. Since we arived by noon and its been a mix of cloudy, windy, cld, hot, and sunny, I did laundry in a bucket and set my bag and bivy to dry. After laundry, I manualy dried the bivy further and then left it out. A few hours later, the bivy was totally dry (woohoo) and the sleeping bag looked quite lofty and felt completely dry (woohoo again!). I set out the solar setup and headed out fo an hour quick hike to see some "caves." Heh. Ooh, ahh, overhangin rock. One of them went 20 feet in, but otherwise, only interesting because 10+ yrs ago, that's what the porters used for shelter.

Dinner was, as usual, enough food to feed 3-4 people. I would guess i'm eating 6-8,000 calories a day for a measely 3-5 hours of exercise. Currently, I'm suffering from massive stomach cramps from eating toooooo much. Ok, time to try sending...

Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment