Monday, March 2, 2009

Not so yay data plan!

I give up. After 2 days of working on this with Zain customer
service, I have come to the conclusion, which thy do not understand,
that upload != download, and when they say unlimited, they intended it
to mean download. No matter how I try it, http, ftp, bin, attachment,
etc, zain's network times out on files larger than about 50k.

So my plan of moving my 8GB microSD between my phone and my camera (i
have 2 8GB cards, so was swapping them fo xfers only) so I could
upload pics is a failure. Ahh well. I'll set the camera phone to min
resolution and use the onboard editing software to reduce the file
size even further...

My original yay! Email follows:

Hello!

I am sure you've noticed that my R key is flaky... sorry about that!
Anyway, my data plan is in action now, so I can start adding pics. So
this message is to do just that (and see how well that works).

Two pics, dunno what order they'll arrive in, but one is a pic of my
first room, at the Kili Backpacker Hotel. The room was far from
clean, full of mosquitoes, etc. I'm standing in the hall, shooting
towards my bed. I was so disgusted with how it looked (bugs cawling
on eveything), that I set my bivy out on the bed and just pretended I
was sleeping on the jungle floor... My guide dropped me off there and
he was so surprised at how crappy it was, he told me not to unpack
(his partner had arranged the place, sight unseen).

My current place looks like an average US hotel, with running water, a
shower, and a toilet, all in an attached bathroom. OH and my current
place has AC, unlike the backpacker place. How much more does it
cost? I dunno, my guide was so shocked about the backpacker place
that he paid the difference in cost! I think its $20 v $7 per night.

Second photo: today is the first time I got a longer-than-10-seconds
glimpse of the mountain. There it is, above the clouds! Holycrap,
that's freaking tall consideing its more tha 50 miles fom here!

Ok, now that this is woking, time to start taking some pics, eh?

Joel

--
Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment